FAQ - Yellowjacket Homes FAQ - Yellowjacket Homes

Passion, Care, and Attention to Detail

(425) 442-5440
[email protected]


What is your service area?

Primarily build in the Puget Sound Region and Kittitas County. Specializing in Gig Harbor and Suncadia. If you have a project outside of these areas, please contact us and we will let you know if we are able to service your needs.

Are you Insured?

Yes, we carry general liability (GL) insurance, workers compensation (workers comp) insurance and surety bond. With YJH, you can put your mind at ease knowing that we are properly covered for all types of work. We will even provide insurance certificates provided upon request.

How long does it take to get an estimate?

Our goal is to visit with our clients to get a full understanding of their needs for the project. Then complete an on-site review and consult. Once complete, based on scope of work and pending geographic location, we will provide you a written estimate for all work. This will typically take 48 hours to two weeks.

Who will be coming out to do the site visit?

Our Head of Construction Services and who will also be your project supervisor, will come out to visit your site.

How long is an estimate good for?

Generally, we guarantee prices for 30 days. When the markets are volatile, sometimes this time frame can be shorter. If so, we will reflect it in your written estimate.

Do you offer financing?

Yes. We do offer various possible financing options – we partner with Absolute Mortgage. Click here to learn more. In no way are you obligated to use them for your financing needs.

Can I get a drawing of the project?

Yes, 2D and/or 3D drawings are provided upon request as part of our design services with any of the different architects we have past relationships with and recommend.

How do you handle the cleanliness of the job site?

We aim to leave the job site cleaner than when we arrived. Of course, what we do can be messy. We have established written protocols to maintain cleanliness during work hours and will oversee and require any of our possible subs on the site to be held to these standards. We will tarp our work area, broom sweep the work area to get rid of any possible debris. We also provide porta potties where applicable. We feel a clean site is a safer site.

How do you handle over runs?

With any new construction or remodeling project, you can’t see everything until exposed. We over-communicates every exception we see and involve you in the process and solution. Any changes are discussed prior and agreed upon by you, in writing. Prior to us taking any action.

How much should I plan for over runs?

We tried to plan for contingencies that may come up when we’re making our bid. But with all construction projects, there is the possibility for unknown factors. 10% is a good number for New construction. On remodeling projects 10% – 15% is best. If you don’t need it, all the better.

Do you use sub-contractors?

Yes, we have long lasting relationships with almost all of our subcontractors that we have worked with for many many years. It is very difficult to be an expert or an all in one builder. By bringing in specialists for certain aspects of the job develops a higher quality of product for you the client.

Do you have pictures of previous jobs?

Yes, you can view our Photo Galleries by selecting the tab at the top of this page.

Can I pull a building permit myself?

Yes, if you would like to do so, we do not have a problem with it. But what most homeowners discover is that it is a very cumbersome process. They are not well-versed in The various nuances, so it can add time to the pre-construction window of when we can start work. We can also coordinate this with our architect to do it in a manner that will be as quick as possible. We will go through all your options available regardless of the stage and you will be allowed to make the call.

How far do you travel for jobs?

We typically travel throughout the Puget Sound region and Kittitas county.

What about payment?

We will work with you to meet your specific needs and also offer financing. For new construction we will charge a 10% upfront fee. For remodeling, we will charge a deposit of 50%. We will also provide you A Schedule of Values that will assist you in budgeting throughout the project. Once the project is underway we will bill you on the first day of the following month. Generally, special order items are required to be paid in full when ordering which is what our distributors make us do.

What about contracts and orders?

There are certain criteria in a contract required by State of Washington between homeowners and contractors to pull a permit. Our contracts fulfill all the requirements.

What about lead paint and other hazardous materials?

Any home constructed prior to 1978 falls under the federal RRP rule. It is enforced at the federal level. Washington enforces it at the state level as well. We are licensed to comply with all federal and state requirements.

Are you licensed?

Yes, we licensed, we can build everything we list in our services list within the state of Washington. Our Washington state contractors license can be provided on request.

Does every remodeling job need a permit?

Building codes have been established by most cities, towns and countries. They vary considerably from one jurisdiction to another. A building permit generally is required whenever structural work is involved or when the basic living area of the home is to be changed. A professional who works in your city or town every day will know the local requirements.

What is difference between big box stores and remodelers?

Quite a bit! Basically you get what you pay for. Most times same brand name products are a lower quality even though they have the same brand name at big box stores. Every situation is different, so it’s important to carefully compare estimates from each of these types of companies.

Why is it when I get three different estimates that the prices are so different?

Many factors go into pricing a project. The most obvious is making sure all estimates have the same materials and scope of work. If you cannot understand all the information, go back and ask the contractor for clarification. If you cannot get satisfactory written results, eliminate that contractor from future bidding. Quality of work is hard to show in a written estimate and is also a factor in costs. This part of the cost difference is usually only confirmed by calling references and/or visiting jobs the contractor has completed. Check references for work completed years ago to see how their works stands up to the test of time. When a contractor carries all the proper and required licenses and insurances, his prices will be higher than a “Chuck in a Truck” or “fly by night” contractor.

Do you need insurance to pull a permit?

Washington state requires liability insurance, workers compensation insurance and a surety bond to be provided before a permit is issued. We carry full coverage on all of these.

What if I need to get in touch with you while my project is in progress (or after hours)?

We give you our cell phone numbers in order for you to call or text us directly. We will do our very best to get back to you the same day.

Are liens out on my property while work is in progress?

Not for residential projects unless payment becomes past due. Some commercial projects, we are required to. Each time a payment is received your lien balance will be lowered and you will receive a lien release for that amount.